Tools and Technologies used
- Guest OS: Fedora 18 (You can use the latest available version)
- Hypervisor: VmWare 5 (You can use the latest version)
- Host OS: Windows 7
- Check VMware Player version 5 in your PC (if it’s not version 5 or above then get the latest). You can get the VMWare version 5 from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/#all_products
- Install VMWare Player. Or upgrade the existing if needed.
- Create a separate folder for VMWare-Fedora disc files like (D://VMWare/Fedora).
- Follow the below steps to create Virtual machine in VMWare (also installs fedora).
Steps to Install Fedora in VmWare Player
- Download Fedora 18 or higher. You can download the iso file for the latest Fedora version from https://fedoraproject.org/workstation/download/.
- Open VmWare and click “Create new virtual machine.
- In the popup screen select “Installer disc image file (iso)” and select the downloaded fedora iso file.
- Click next.
- In the “select Guest Operating” system screen, select “Linux”. Then select “Other Linux 2.6.x kernel” in Version field. (NOTE: Don’t select Fedora. It wont work properly).
- In the next screen change the virtual machine name to “Fedora”. Also change the location to a folder in “D:” Drive (D://VMWare/Fedora).
- In the next screen set the maximum disc space to 15 GB. Select “Store virtual disk as a single file”. Click Next.
- In the next screen “Ready to create virtual machine” change the memory to 2048 MB. by clicking “Customize Hardware.. Button.
- Click finish.
- From the VmWare Player home screen, select “Fedora” and click the play button.
- The VmWare start and display the message “Operating system not found”.
- Right click the DVD/CD icon from the top menu bar.
- Virtual machine will start and display the fedora login screen.
- Click “Live system user”.
- Fedora will give 2 options “Click “Install to Hard Drive”.
- Follow the installation steps. You may need to select the “Storage” partition.and click begin install.
- Wait for the fedora install to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, you can login to Fedora.
Hope this helps.